View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
landscaper52
EcoModding Lurker

ranger mods

Yeah,
You've got the 4l manual, but mines auto and 4x4...so consequently the best I've been able to get is 20+- on the highway. After much driving, and writing down my mileage I found that I was only getting about 2 or 3 mpg better than EPA / Ford stats. In other words, not that great. I put a rubber mat airdam on the front, which seems to be helping, but I'm not sure if I spent more effort on changin my driving style, after installing it, or if it was actually doing anything itself, it's hard to say. I began working on an aerodynamic shell, but decided it would make the truck pretty much useless as a truck, I couldn't open the sides, load any large tools, or bulk materials, so I removed it.
I think I might just go with a simple flexible tonneau cover for the back, and see if that helps. I'm reluctant to do much else to it, since I've just paid it off, and I'm enjoying not having a car payment for a while.
Basically, it comes down to this, If you convert your truck to an eco friendly aerodynamic shaped vehicle, it's no longer a truck, and consequently, you might just as well spend some money and buy a more economical vehicle. If you really are getting more than 20 mpg out of your truck, be happy, cos that's probably all you will get out of it. The Ranger that Ford advertises with 29 mpg is for a stock, brand new engine with no options, no AC, 4 cyl 5 speed manual no 4X4, with nothing in the bed...so if it's not hauling anything, what's the point? we might as well as be driving a little hatchback.
Good Luck
Rich