View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 11:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ni87
EcoModding Lurker

Bernard - '00 Nissan Xterra Se

Super civ - '98 Honda Civic Si (aka dx)
90 day: 47.57 mpg (US)
capriracer would you recommend a 185/55r16 over a 195/50r16? What would you suggest. has the wider and taller tire worked on your own vehicles?

Thanks a lot for you input everyone. I appreciate that. Those Yokohama ascends were actually the tire I was looking at. They seem like the perfect all around tire and I've heard they last a long time. My second choice was the Yokohama vigors which were more of a performance all season but like you said they are designed more for traction vs. Economy. And yeah the Utqg number the higher the number is usually better from what I've read. The higher number generally indicates a longer tread life. From what I've read a tire that has a 200 Utqg number is likely to last twice as long as a tire that has a 100 Utqg.

That's why I think I want to go with the Yokohama avid ascends since the Utqg is about 740-800 depending on what size you get. So they are more geared for longer tread life which comes with less traction which I think they made up the difference with the siping. It is also designed for an eco focus. So that's why I think it's the best tire for me.

As far as my commute it's strictly highway. My home town is roughly 10 hours away so when I go to visit my family I bring the old civic. My goal is to one day do it in one tank. But I need roughly a 20 percent increase in fuel economy so it might be tough. But I think going with the 185/55r16 might be best since it's the skinniest tire out of the three sizes and second tallest. I do think the gear reduction would help. It made a world of a difference in my xterra.

What are some of the best tire setups you have tried and also best mileage increaser. I know the biggest difference comes from driving habits. I am just curios to see what mods helped most too.

Thanks again for all the input. My question is why doesn't having a low profile tire help with economy? Like someone said the trains have steel wheels for efficiency and we have air more for the cushy ride. Wouldn't the lower profile make for a harder more effienct tire?

Last edited by Ni87; 04-10-2018 at 12:23 AM..