View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
laszlo
Laszlo

Grey Mouse - '14 Honda Insight Trend
Hi RedDevil and anyone interrested in a buddypack for Honda cars,

Prior to a scheme for a mosfet switched circuit I tried to model your setup to see if there's any profit to get with a switched circuit.

a diode setup is very simple and simplicity is most of the time key to success. What I tried is making a schematic model in LTspice.
What you can do if you like is install LTspice (google LTspice download, it should be from analog.com) unzip this attachment and open it. You can play a little with the model.

What's in it?
At the left side is the buddypack, at 3.2 volt x 36 = about 115V Internal resistance of your pack guessed at 8 mOhm for each cell, might be lower also. It was not my intention to model the pack in detail, just keeping it simple.

At the right side is the motor current. Right click will open a time table with seconds and currents. This way I model a 15 minute ride, but not too realistic at the moment.

A little left from the motor is the IMA battery pack, I found somewhere that the civic had .4 Ohm internal resistance. With less cells in the Insight II a 0.24 Ohm internal resistance should do. The capacitor resembles 15 volts linear loss when pulling 80% = 4.6Ah from it. Something between brand new and older.

The bulb you used was a bit more difficult. These halogen things have a low resistance when cold and it raises when hotter. I got the values from google. 4A at 13.75 Volts = 3.75 Ohm and only 10% when cold.

From this we can see what happens during the ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ltspice_pict1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	23909  
Attached Files
File Type: zip BuddyBattery.zip (916 Bytes, 13 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to laszlo For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (04-13-2018)