View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #29 (permalink)
kach22i
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Thanks Aerohead, your early input on some ideas I've been tossing around is appreciated.

The next round of changes will be a scheme that attaches the deflecting plane (wing/spoiler) to the engine lid instead of the rear window lip. This is another level of simplification and functionality.

It will be neither a Ducktail nor a Whaletail/Teatray but something that is a little of both and a further development of the Sponge Bob model.

In my opinion only the very first concept shown (Saab-style) had the possibility of interrupting airflow in a bad way, and my concerns about it have paved the way to a better direction so it was a necessary step.

EDIT: Posted new photos - I took the wing, flipped it upside down, bent the edges and stuffed it into the joints of the engine lid. Kept the angle not too aggressive but there is room for experimentation there.

Now it's looking similar to any other aftermarket wing on any other car?

I don't care if it looks similar or oddly different, as long as it works.

EDIT-2: To be clear, I don't expect free flowing airflow to engage the wing. I expect the trailing edge of the wing to extend the profile of the car to a near Aero-Template profile thereby lowering the Cd.

Some of this air flow is getting drawn down into the engine grille via the engine cooling fan prior to the wing's affects so this should not alter existing engine cooling for better or worse.

I also expect some slight squeezing of air (acceleration) of air traveling between car body and underside of wing. At a micro level this means there is anti-lift or down-force on the wing. At the macro level of pressure wave/bubble; I'm not so sure what sort of swirling turbulence from possible pressure differentials of air traveling under and along the sides of the car as it meets the air coming over the top of the car causes. I'm looking for slight improvements and not an entire overhaul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kach-April-2018-1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	23953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kach-April-2018-2.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	23954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kach-April-2018-3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	23955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kach-April-2018-5.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	23956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kach-April-2018-4.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	23957  

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html

Last edited by kach22i; 04-19-2018 at 10:23 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-21-2018), freebeard (04-19-2018)