View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #55 (permalink)
LibertyMKiii
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Oh, I only just found this one.

When it comes to full size LSR cars, one builder really stands out to me. Jack Costella:
Jack Costella's Official Website

His Nebulous Theorem cars are all surprisingly small, low, and narrow. And Fast! His cars have over a hundred records, including setting a record over 350mph with a 1.5L engine. If you want an example to follow, this is the guy.

So... why 11" wide? Ditch the suspension and cut that in half. Figure out the largest component that you MUST design around, and fit everything else within the profile of that component. The width of Jack's cars are often determined by the width of the driver's shoulders. If he could ditch the driver, I'm sure they would be smaller.

Weight doesn't hurt you as much in LSR. Do you understand the dynamics of Cg vs Cp? Stability is strongly dependent on the Cg being forward in the car and the Cp (Center of Pressure) is more towards the rear. Adding weight to the front of the car adds to stability without adding drag like a wing would. Length also adds stability without adding much drag.
The next go around I'll build a 2 wheel LSR that will be about 1.5" wide and 2" tall. My goal here on this vehicle is to have something that is very similar to a production RC car. The budget is very limited, so I do not have the resources to cnc custom axles for a narrowed setup... I am trying to work with production parts and modify the body and aero in ways that others have not tried yet.

-Liberty
The Following User Says Thank You to LibertyMKiii For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-21-2018)