View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #30 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Not all modifications need to look like the gorilla tape on the front of my Accord. Some look nice, but why don't you go ahead and strap foamboard to your wheels and report back in week. Tell you what, I will even buy you the foam so you can show us how well that works.
I just might, if I can find some thin enough. Right now I'll be experimenting with cardboard first. My timing belt is being changed right now and should be done in a couple of hours. Then it's time to go home and make 3 more cardboard discs for testing (I made one last night)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Which one? Caulk? Foam board?
Foam board, sorry. Not sure if it's durable enough or if there are other concerns since I haven't seen many others use it and yet it seems like an even cheaper alternative to coroplast.

Quote:
Have you laid a straight edge on that wheel to see if it is convex or concave overall?
The wheels are slightly concave, but mostly flat, which makes them nice for mounting.

Quote:
Four holes for the lugs will lead to stress risers and failure. One hole can't eat away at itself. And if the wheel is convex, then a fairly large hole will center on the wheel.
Wait, are you saying having 4 lugs is bad? Or something else? Sorry.

Quote:
Instead of caulk, wrap the edge with tape. Cut the circle by pinning the center and rotating the sheet material against a tool.
Good idea with the tape, kinda what I was planning doing with my cardboard prototypes, I just don't know if the tape will survive the weather.

For the discs I used a tape measure to measure out the diameter with the center laid against a penciled in point, then rotated the tape measure and added dots. I then connected the dots to something that was probably a "60-gon" so when I cut it, it was basically a circle.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)