View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #67 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 64.01 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I think the cover works. I think it's worth the trouble.
I'll have to try that...sometime lol.

----------------------------------------------

Replacement OBD2 adapter came in the mail today, so Torque app is back in business. Tank is sitting now right about 40 mpg; lower than last tank but I'm back to my short 5-10 mile trips. Grille blocking is helping with warm up time and it's all helping with aero, but my biggest enemy is how rich my engine runs for half the trip. I'm getting like 30 mpg on the first half and 50 mpg on the last half. My biggest gains would be from a cold idle RPM reduction....but how would I do that? It seems like something way to complicated and/or expensive to implement.

A block charger is not an option electric bill-wise, unless I could somehow rig up a solar powered one...

I'm seeing Toyota Yarii (is that even how you pluralize Yaris...) getting better FE from the average user than the Civic or Fit...almost makes me want to sell...but I probably won't.

Oh, and I also tested speed vs. mpg on my car (after removing mods) and came up with the following chart before reinstalling the mods:

DISCLAIMER: Only the MPGs in 4th gear (overdrive) were tested up to 60 mph...the rest is simply following the curve.
FE for other gears is estimated based on gear ratios. 3rd gear one seems fairly accurate for a couple of the speeds.
Anything extreme is found by simply following curves (i.e. 1st gear won't get you anywhere close to 100 mph).
Data may be slightly pessimistic. Used Torque for monitoring. Somewhere around 55 degrees Fahrenheit, with no wind as far as I could tell. Engine already warm.

I will edit this post with a better chart if/when I obtain more accurate data.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SpeedVsMpg.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	24036  

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
The Following User Says Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
Ecky (04-29-2018)