View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 07:46 AM   #99 (permalink)
westb87
No idea what I'm doing

Sleek - '04 Honda Civic Coupe LX
90 day: 36.38 mpg (US)

Broomstick - '18 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Tech & 4Motion
90 day: 21.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Mine is VTEC (not VTEC-E) so would that one be more? If so, would putting a non-VTEC one work?

Just a wildcard thought...would it be possible when replacing it to "trick" the O2 sensor into running leaner?
It's possible, but I wouldn't. You'll run the risk of burning valves. Fuel acts as an upper cylinder coolant when sprayed at the right A/F ratio into the combustion chamber. If you REALLY want to stay as lean as possible, get the car dyno tuned. Rather than having the shop tune for the most HP, they can lean the A/F mixture out across your fuel maps to keep you leaner than stoichiometric. Also, you could DIY with a megasquirt. I'd considered it, but this is my daily driver and I really can't afford to take her offline for anything more than a weekend as the wife needs the other vehicle to take our oldest son to school...at least for this year! He starts his new school that is within walking distance next year, so maybe next year I'll take a stab at "megasquirting" the Civic.

Broomstick (2018 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Technology & 4Motion All-Wheel Drive), Auto 8-speed with "Tip-tronic". The Family 'Wagen...also the weapon of choice of the "Wicked Witch of the Wests" a.k.a The Wife.

The Following User Says Thank You to westb87 For This Useful Post:
mpg_numbers_guy (05-03-2018)