View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #143 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I never know if you're being purposely deceptive, or simply enjoy being disagreeable. Walmart net sales in 2017 is 485.87B, Whole Foods is 16.03B. Over half of Walmart's revenue is groceries, or over 15x larger than Whole Foods.
How does this relate to what I said about self-selection between obese and non-obese Americans?

Quote:
Your argument that a foreigner's perception of US citizens being overweight due to selection bias is absurd.
We seem to be discussing two very different things. I've said nothing about foreigner's perceptions, but about what the producers of documentaries &c choose to put in them. You seem to be saying that all Americans are overweight - that it's a US weight problem - while I'm trying to say that it's very much a matter of individual lifestyle choices. It's not exclusively a US lifestyle choice, either: http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/two...ica-and-europe

Quote:
Also, if you were a lowlife scumbag, then being "hassled" by the cops is warranted. How many of those times were you falsely arrested with charges brought against you?
Unfortunately, in the eyes of many cops, being young, male, and poor is the definition of "lowlife scumbag". As for personal stats, arrested and jailed 3 times. 2 of them I managed to pay the extortion (AKA fine), one was dismissed at trial for lack of probable cause.

Quote:
Police aren't trained on legislating law, they are trained to enforce it.
Police are the ones who advocate most loudly for these laws, Further, that "just enforcing the law" defense really doesn't work that well. Can people who choose to work in a field that requires them to do unethical things be ethical people?