View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
HHOTDI
Rapturee

Sippy2 - '15 Honda NC700XD DCT
90 day: 59.51 mpg (US)

Shorty - '02 Ford F150 XL
Honda NC700x Manual motorcycle... Incredible MPG (100.6 mpg personal best)

Hello all. I hope this is ok to share here. I recently purchased a really nice Honda NC700x manual from it's original owner with only 1702 miles on it with the hopes of some really great fuel mileage savings!

I drove it home in about 26f weather, snow flurries and cross winds at about 30mph. Not a fun 105 miles home to say the least! It was several weeks before the weather broke again to allow me to get it out for another ride. I filled the tank from the trip home and found a poor 54mpg, Not Happy Bob!!

I checked the bike over really good and found the tires to be low. I aired them up to the recommended 36f-42r. I fired it up and let it warm up and then changed the oil with Rotella T6 and a K+N oil filter and took another ride. This netted me 64mpg and it was a decent partly cloudy day with moderate winds.

A few days after that I went for another ride where I checked the tires and made sure they were up. I added a K+N air filter and also noticed that the chain was very dry looking so i liberally sprayed some chain lube in it and we went for another ride. This time i fought some cross winds about 20-25mph and enjoyed a mildly sunny day getting 75mpg when i topped off the tank after a 200 mile ride!

Just last week i got the bike out, checked the tires, liberally lubed the chain and went out again. It was a beautiful sunny day and rode for about 100 miles to a little town for some "PIE/Ice Cream". Just to get there and find that they are still seasonally closed for another week, ratz! So i had a cold iced-tea and sulked on a park bench. Both directions along the way i employed some "Ecomodder driving Techniques" and when i arrived home i found that i had gotten an incredible 86MPG, a new personal best!! :{)

Next i installed a one tooth larger front sprocket, 17T and that made a difference! Netting me a best 99mpg, backed it up a week later with 98mpg!
I then changed tires and went to a taller rear tire sized at a 150/70-17". I also added a huge 46L top box and two large side cases/Luggage boxes and hit 94mpg on the same river rd.

On Sept 4th 2018, i installed a smaller rear sprocket from a DCT version of the NC700's. Then on Sept 8th, i headed out to the Cd'A River Rd again to gun for the century mark. It was much colder out, in the low 60's. It had rained earlier that morning and the roads were still all wet with a chill in the air. I rode the beautiful 50 miles out and 50 miles back to the gas station. I topped off the tank and nursed it to the top and when the pump shut off it stopped at .994 gallons!! That netted me a new personal best of 100.6 MPG!! WhooRahh!! :{)

Future plans are for a Craig Vetter Stream-Liner type fairing. I'll probably make the Tail section first and run that for a while. Then i'll attack the nose section. I'll keep posting the progress! Many Blessings! :{)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4296302_106653506_640.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	24377  

Last edited by HHOTDI; 09-09-2018 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: added the new personal best
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HHOTDI For This Useful Post:
ldjessee00 (12-13-2018), MetroMPG (06-12-2018), vskid3 (05-07-2018)