View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 12:19 AM   #3229 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
2018 May 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
*BUT THE CONTROLLER IS OK*!! Whew!

Maybe I should see the tires rotate before I declare victory?
This is a log of what I did and what results I saw for May 4. i didn't get the video downloaded or edited. But progress was made. Tire rotation has happened. I have 'driven' my Polaris Ranger EV with Paul's AC Controller.

NOW I can say that THE CONTROLLER IS OK ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Power up the laptop. Connected to the controller with a serial cable on com7, an external USB converter. 115,200 baud, no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit. Start at VT100 terminal

Power up the controller first. 12V battery through a 5 amps resetable breaker to the DC converter. The relays click for precharge and main contactor

AC Controller version 1.0 is displayed

type in config command

this shows the settings in the log file

turn on the mini breaker on the 56V battery bank. The contactor shows 56V.

turn on the key switch. The DC converter on the Polaris Ranger powers up. 12V power for the Ranger comes up slowly.

Wait for the SEVCON controller to stop blinking green and go solid green. The SEVCON terminals show 46.5V so we have 9.5V drop across the 5.6 ohm resistor. about 1.5 amps.

Close the 80 amp breaker on the battery bank

Check the controller voltage. 56V, B- = 0V. B+ = 56V (I checked the polarity this time!)

Start logging with ZAC_Config.txt - turns on all of the datalogging flags

Change the throttle. IT RUNS! But it is very jerky - change the throttle a bit. Video shows slightly faster but jerkier. The motor response is very poor.

But this is the second spin. The first spin was not caught on video since it sort of surprised me that it moved. I had sort of a crash of the controller - I think the current into the motor was ramped up quite quickly and then it sort of stopped. And it did not respond to throttle after that. So I had to cycle power.

* Update * the throttle signal responds poorly to being disconnected and reconnected by vibrating connectors and pins that are too small. My throttle setup is very duct-tape-ish.