View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #148 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
I don't know just what you mean by "trolling".
I know it can be cast in a good or bad light; I wasn't trying to imply bad intent.

Quote:
There are competing theories of where and when "troll" was first used in Internet slang, with numerous unattested accounts of BBS and UseNet origins in the early 1980s or before.
The Internet dictionary NetLingo suggests there are four grades of trolling: playtime trolling, tactical trolling, strategic trolling, and domination trolling.
The context of the quote cited in the Oxford English Dictionary[25] sets the origin in Usenet in the early 1990s as in the phrase "trolling for newbies", as used in alt.folklore.urban (AFU).[27][28] Commonly, what is meant is a relatively gentle inside joke by veteran users, presenting questions or topics that had been so overdone that only a new user would respond to them earnestly. For example, a veteran of the group might make a post on the common misconception that glass flows over time. Long-time readers would both recognize the poster's name and know that the topic had been discussed repeatedly, but new subscribers to the group would not realize, and would thus respond. These types of trolls served as a practice to identify group insiders. This definition of trolling, considerably narrower than the modern understanding of the term, was considered a positive contribution.[27][29]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

I'm unable to keep other people's opinions sorted (Neil Blanchard and aerohead in agreement?) so I fall back on being snarky toward everyone.

Quote:
If all some people want to see is a chorus of agreement with whatever they happen to write, perhaps they could insert a disclaimer to that effect
All lies in jest.