View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunwapta View Post
So up front maybe I should just try a bit of grill blocking?

You should see the undercarriage - what a mess - I've thought that I should get a big sheet of tin and cover the whole bottom (there's no great risk of losing needed ground clearance) - even the running board braces must create terrible drag.

What amazes me is how little attention the issue gets on pickup truck sites - yet even for those that don't care about mileage - doesn't all this drag REALLY hurt acceleration and passing speeds?
Sunwapta,I think the grill block is a good starting point,as it comes from the head of GM's truck division,Mr. Taylor.-----------------------Do it in increments small enough that you can monitor temps without anything getting away from you.Once your confident that you're "safe",you can move on to other projects.------------------------------ If you'll keep a mileage log,you'll be able to gauge any performance gains from your mods.The Excursion may already have an on-board trip computer,if so,you may already have access to instantaneous readouts.A very nice feature! Let us know how it goes and best to you on the project.