View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #31 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
small ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarhighway View Post
so adding a small ridge just ahead of the trailing edge could be beneficial for FE...

what i don't get is why GM seems to be strugling wich the mucle car look and it's aerodynamics.

in europe trough opel GM has produced some examplary aerodynamic vehicles with cd's between 0.29 and 0.26, from the 80's untill now and with the upcomming opel insignia with a Cd of 0.27 they show they still got it.
and lets not forget the eco speedster... not suitable for the road but certainly a door aero exercice and that car's nose did look like the volt a bit.

there's people working at GM that can totally put together a working practical car with good even sporty looks and top of the line aerodynamics.
just let them do their job and put in an electric engine and slap on whatever badge they want... now remind me again but didn't GM already had some sort of electric engine somewhere they could put in....
I think the "small ridge" was a concession to the stylist.With the wind tunnel they can fine tune with clay,and with smoke wand or rake,and capacity to do real-time lift/drag measurement,they know exactly what's going on and if it's a winner.What a fabulous tool,that wind tunnel!!!!!!!!!----------------- Without such a "toolbag" it's a little tougher for us to do that kind of fine-tuning.--------------------- The upshot for you is that you will not have to please a committee or marketing director,and can be more "daring" and "adventuresome" with your mods.----------------------- I think Bicycle Bob has a very good handle on what GM is doing with the Volt,with respect to the "small ridge" and how it effects the wake.Perhaps with tufting or lamp-black and oil,etc. you could pull off a great functioning wing/spoiler with even higher "voltage".