Thread: Future Fuels
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Big Dave
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Unhappy Re: Post #3

In post #3 Metromiser posted:
“…consumer had better push-back on the big enviro and big oil lobbys…”

Dave says:
I agree.

One of the things that has always infuriated me is the makeup up EPA “stakeholder meetings.” When the EPA is in the process of developing new regs they have “stakeholder meetings” between what the EPA considers the players in the game. The stakeholders are mostly the usual suspects: Big environmental extremist groups like NRDC and/or Sierra Club, industries involved (automakers or oil companies, utilities, etc), and state/local government. Notice who is missing: consumers (including motorists and utility rate payers) and labor. The EPA excludes these groups specifically because they would realize who is gonna get screwed and raise Cain. Especially ratepayers because AARP is interested in utility rates and they are one of DC 800 lb gorillas (old people vote and they listen to AARP). Such Cain-raising would delay the regulatory process and maybe derail some regs. If consumers and labor (the people whose jobs are lost when regs make it uneconomical to make something in the US) were in the process, we’d see a lot more moderation in regulation.

Metromiser posted:
“…I don't mean go back to the 1960's pollution standards, but an affordable compromise means the average Joe or Joesephine can afford transportation, say, a small 3 cylinder turbo Diesel with 1998 emission standards (no blu-tec or eurea tanks).”

Dave says:
I agree entirely. 1998-vintage regs are A-OK with me. I don't seem to remember the air quality being so toxic back in 1998. Maybe Windows 98 was toxic, but not the air.

Metromiser posted:
“…big oil would like nothing more than bio-Diesel to just go away.”

Dave says:
I disagree. If they could get feedstocks for biodiesel cheaper than petroleum they would sell bio-diesel. Who do you think would sell bio-diesel? Big Oil has the distribution networks and distribution is the profit center. If “Big Oil” could make a saleable product out of a cheap feedstock (like politicians’ promises) they would abandon oil in a New York minute. We could make gasoline and diesel from coal using proven technology, but who stands in the way? Not Big Oil. Who do you thinks owns the coal reserves? Big Oil, of course. It is government than blocks development of synthetic fuel plant construction.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam