View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
westb87
No idea what I'm doing

Sleek - '04 Honda Civic Coupe LX
90 day: 36.38 mpg (US)

Broomstick - '18 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Tech & 4Motion
90 day: 21.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Hills are fun if you drive them right.

Is there an alternate route you can take that avoids the highway?
There is, but it's several miles out of the way with A LOT of stoplights. Would absolutely not work out for FE. I can't go the other way because we've got a huge military base in the way, lol.

Quote:
Alternative coolers...how about a mini portable battery powered air conditioning unit or two you can have inside the car?
That energy still isn't free and the weight the car would have to carry isn't either. I know that energy (electricity to charge the battery) is significantly cheaper, but I'd spend more rigging up the solution than I would in any possible savings. Plus, I still need to fit the family in the car on occasion and my backseat has two carseats in it, lmao.

Quote:
As long is it's 100% reversible to stock with no permanent damage, who cares? I was initially a member of the "100% stock" club myself until I saw what was possible with just a lil' bit'a tweaking.
Thought about it, but I work in a somewhat "high-end" facility where I'm surrounded by BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, a couple Porsches (The front end of the Panamera here was my surefire inspiration to block my upper grille...it doesn't even have one!), a Maserati, and a Bentley (Edit: Also, a metric butt-ton of Range Rovers). I'm already a bit of a sore thumb with what I drive (screw 'em if they use it against me) and I'd rather not be the guy with cardboard and coroplast being visibly plastered onto the side of my vehicle. I'm cool with doing a belly pan on the underside, but doing anything visible would get the word around that I'm the weird a-hole with the crap stuck all over his little Honda car and I do NOT need that kind of reputation around here.

Quote:
Oh the blasphemy!
I just shake my head when I walk the parking lot and I'm looking at the MIDDLE of the front bumper of a 3500 truck that's lifted so tall and sitting on gigantic mud tires that I can lean my head to see COMPLETELY under the truck. There's a few of those. These things are at least $100k worth of truck and mods that will never tow, never see mud, never go offroad anymore than driving in the grass at the fair parking lot, and will never haul anything heavier than the family and luggage. It's absolutely absurd.

Broomstick (2018 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Technology & 4Motion All-Wheel Drive), Auto 8-speed with "Tip-tronic". The Family 'Wagen...also the weapon of choice of the "Wicked Witch of the Wests" a.k.a The Wife.

Last edited by westb87; 05-10-2018 at 02:18 PM..