View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #1662 (permalink)
hydrive
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Bjorn Lomborg is a fossil fuel shill, and he's a political scientist.
Do you have any evidence that he's paid off by oil companies to present a specific point of view?

Seeing that carbon taxes and cap and trade schemes haven't ultimately lowered emissions, I think he's bringing a breath of fresh air to the debate. BTW, I'm not even particularly against carbon taxes per se, I've voted for governments in the past that have instituted both of these green programs. I'm an evidence based guy, and so far the evidence suggests its doing little to change energy technology. The technology is developed completely separate and unrelated to carbon taxes and cap and trade schemes.

He's basically promoting technological advances and engineering at saving us, which I find more viable than trying to tell people what they can and cannot purchase in the energy market. His ideas sound less kooky than trying to tax carbon emissions out of existence, quite frankly.

He's an environmentalist, not an oil company shill so far as I can tell, but if you have evidence please present it.

Technology and innovation is our only hope. Tesla has proven the electric car isn't just a Golf Cart. Innovating the old combustion engine has delivered better fuel economy, just look at the innovation Mazda is putting into its new Skyactive D and X engines. Good performance, double the fuel economy of just a few years ago. Its just too bad they aren't building sub 100hp 3 cylinder diesels with turbos that would easily get 60mpg.

Technology and innovation are cutting carbon emissions in half by developing better combustion engines before electrics go mainstream.

A carbon tax and cap and trade hasn't solved any problems yet. All they have done is cause mass political upheaval. I've supported governments in the past that have installed these schemes, but I'm starting to rethink it given current realities and where the solutions seem to be coming from. Incentivising car companies to produce better engine technology is probably a better idea than carbon taxes on gasoline and diesel. Instead of taxing fuels to make people not afford it, why not just produce cars that get better fuel economy? Novel idea...

Last edited by hydrive; 05-12-2018 at 09:02 PM..