View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 08:39 PM   #38 (permalink)
s_t
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I prefer (and forty-five years of experience tells me) that for lowest overall cost (as fuel is but one part; generally half) drivetrain separate from RV works best. Why? Majority of hours of use are ALWAYS when parked. The right trailer can last decades. The motive power can be changed as desired.
Yes, that applies in many situations, perhaps including my own right now! If only using it for a few weeks a year, its some expensive machinery to sit unused the majority of the time.

I'll add a few 'buts' though, which help to mitigate this:
- I planned to drive the electric motorhome to work and back each day. So it would take the place of an ICE vehicle. Overkill for commuting, yes, but at least not sitting idle from months.
- it makes sense when thinking about regularly spending long periods travelling, as we did for 6 months in 2014.
- during our around Australia trip in 2014, fuel was our single biggest expense (and as far as motorhomes go, it was quite fuel efficient). Fuel costs completely dwarfed depreciation of the motorhome on resale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Not in his country. They’ve plenty. Purpose-built.
True, there are plenty to choose from. But made in low volumes, so they charge an arm and a leg...

For now I'll stick with the homemade camper/caravan/RV. Whilst it doesn't have all the comforts of commercial ones, and our existing tow vehicles can't get us everywhere we might want to go, we'll manage using it for a few more years and then re-assess.