View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
type

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
My computer is down and I'm not sure how to upload pics from my tablet so please bear with me.

I have seen newer vehicles with a Kammback (if that is the right word) spoiler mounted along the roofline above the rear windows. Some are flatter (like a Jeep Cherokee) and some are more "curled" with what I can only describe as inverted winglets (like a Ford Focus). I have seen the chart showing truck bed aerodynamics and wondered if I could adapt something from another model vehicle to the cab of my Ranger. I already have a tonneau cover and the chart showed a pretty significant improvement with the addition of a spoiler.

The question is what type spoiler would I look for? The flat style or one with the downward curved edges?

It'll be a small miracle finding something that fits the shape of my cab anyhow, so it may be a moot point. I'm thinking the flatter style would be easier of the two to adapt though.

Any thoughts?
maybe there's something about this in the seminars.
In 1988,Texas Tech University published an SAE Paper based upon research they did with Ford pickups.Both CFD and full-scale tunnel testing at Lockheed,Marietta,Georgia.
Different cab-'wings' were tested in combination with a half-tonneau covers,and the lowest drag configurations were a function of bed length,wing length,and wing angle.
At the sweet spot,you could get an 18% drag reduction.