View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenKreton View Post
I like the idea of driving prices up in the sense that it will take higher fuel prices to change anything. I worry about industry not adapting and just passing higher prices on to consumers instead of adopting more efficient methods. Food is already suffering greatly - from many factors - and it is getting really expensive to eat now. There will be a fine line between adopting forcing new methods and technologies through prices and forcing people into suffering, or malnutrition and freezing without heating.

Trains + bicycles >> cars; but that's just my two cents.
When food is valuable enough (monetarily), we should see a drop in consumer food waste. I agree that the line is fine - but we're far from that line at the moment...

Similar to price gouging (for slightly different reasons) - a lot of people hate it, but it serves an important economic purpose by ensuring those that need get by preventing those that are first in line from taking excess.