View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Spark plug boogers, a cracked radiator, and possibly a blown head gasket.

It seemed like a lovely day, 70°, as I drove my Civic, but my engine temperature was too high, and I had only driven five miles!

In 70° weather!

I started having problems with her overheating a year ago, but that was Phoenix, where it hit 117° last year. I do not remember the drama, although I probably posted about it. The radiator fan only worked when I pulled on the cable and when I put a paper clip in the connector. I also bypassed the heater core. I was still working on it when I moved north, to a higher elevation. The hottest day there was 92° back in May.

My Civic drove fine for nine months.

I stopped at the first place that sold distilled water and popped my hood. Nothing looked too bad. The radiator was cool to the touch.

What?!

I popped the cap and it was low, so I added water, but it gushed out the top.

I was about two miles from an appointment and that was one of the last steps before I can start my new job.

I drove carefully, popped the hood, and my engine was smoking. I left the hood open and spent a couple of hours inside.

I should have asked for a paperclip!

I stopped every couple of miles, purchasing paperclips and jumping the cable as soon as I could, and then stopping and letting the engine cool before continuing.

The temperature shot up when I entered the neighborhood and was at High when I reached our street. I stopped, turned off the engine, and pushed the car the rest of the way.

Slightly uphill.

A new radiator is $70, but that is a waste of time and money if the engine is damaged. I started a compression test, but the first cylinder was only 0 PSI. I checked it a couple of times, reconnected the hose, tried again, and when I added oil it quickly dropped to zero, but was still moving when I moved back to the hood. I popped up the gauge with a wooden clamp and watched it hit 70 PSI.

That is not useful.
This was the spark plug:

That is just weird.

I twisted the next spark plug boot, but when I pulled on it, the wire came out, and the boot came apart. I soaked it in silicone lubricant, twisted a screw into the clip, and extracted the metal part, while the plastic tube is still stuck in there.

It looks like I will need to haul the car to a junkyard.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_194016.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	24210