View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 10:36 PM   #98 (permalink)
S Keith
Master EcoModder

Having replaced about 150 batteries and taking a lot of calls about other issues, here's what I tell friends and family (BTW, I own three):

If you're not okay with dropping another $2000 on a used Prius within the first 30 days of ownership, you don't want a Prius.

Short list of big ticket ($1000-2000) items:
Battery
ABS actuator
Transaxle
A/C compressor
Inverter

Lesser issues (300-1000):
Combo meter
Inverter Coolant Pump
3 way valve

While the Prius is VERY reliable, you can't expect high mileage cars to last forever, and hybrid cars have more failure points. Most of my battery customers have owned their cars for less than six months.

Regardless, do not consider purchasing any Prius unless it has immaculate maintenance records with receipts for any claimed replacement parts. If it wasn't a NEW battery, it doesn't count unless you can trace it to a reputable source who will honor any warranty that isn't some paltry 90 days or something.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but I have a pretty big sample size, and I have seen too many people who have found themselves in a tight spot because they thought they were getting a good deal.

Good luck,

Steve

Last edited by MetroMPG; 05-19-2018 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: (Copied from other thread)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S Keith For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (05-19-2018), mpg_numbers_guy (05-19-2018)