View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike4miles View Post
I also installed a new K&N air filter which I’ve did a lot of resurch and read very mixed and often conflicting reviews on K&n drop in filters but since the old filter needed changing, I sprang for it since manny reviews on Amazon reported increased fe after installing one. Worth a shot.
A freer-flowing air filter most likely won't help fe on a gas car because the throttle is usually the greatest restriction (diesels are another story, as they have no throttle). The study on the bottom of this page found no difference in MPG between a new and clogged filter, though power is improved with a clean filter. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.jsp My Prius has had the same paper filter for 55k miles.

Make sure that your driving style isn't working against you. It might seem like maximizing EV usage is best for fe, but you have to remember that all that energy ultimately comes from gas. I've found that brisk acceleration using the engine and doing P&G with EOC (applying just enough throttle to cancel the coasting regen, no power in or out) at lower speeds helps a lot.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to vskid3 For This Useful Post:
bike4miles (05-19-2018)