View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #1823 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
rest of the world/education

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
It isn't feasible now. The only people that would say we need to do as you say either are economically ignorant, or don't care if they live in mud huts and eat insects for nutrition.

The problem isn't one of education. Even if all of the US were convinced that GW was a dire problem and committed to drastic reductions in CO2 production, the rest of the world would continue on consuming at a rapid pace considering that fossil fuels would be even cheaper if the US wasn't consuming them (more supply). Our economy would be left in the dust.

The second problem with the call to education is that even if people know their actions contribute negatively to the environment, they don't really care since they account for hardly any of the overall impact. It's like sharing the bill at a restaurant; if the check is being split evenly, then we'll have the steak dinner since it won't increase the bill that much compared to everyone 's combined cost. Now consider the check is being split several billion ways...

Our public education fails in way more than just teaching energy consumption and externalities; the vast majority of people lack an elementary understanding of economics, yet hold strong opinions of what should be done about things that massively affect the economy on topics such as subsidized healthcare and other entitlements.

If somehow solar were economically advantageous, some country would implement it and soar ahead economically.

The only reason solar is economically advantageous for some homeowners in the US is because a large part of the cost is distributed across the taxpayers.
I don't know what the rest of the world will do.I do see evidence that some countries are running full-speed-ahead into a alternative energy future.That's inspiring.
If we had education,and it was agreed upon that Earth was important,it might follow that we'd be aware of things that threatened us,and we'd be paying attention,and be willing to act on it.
That would be for individuals to decide.And only if they they were educated.
I just turned 66 and I've yet to be educated.Funny country!