View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Smithcraft
EcoModding Lurker

98 Civic EX - '98 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 27.12 mpg (US)

08 Legacy SpecB - '08 Legacy GT SpecB
The exciting part is that it was getting ~32 before the tune up, with the same route to work. Granted it was undriveable on the freeway at freeway speeds, whereas after the tune up, it is pretty much driveable on the freeway.

I adjusted the timing, and apparently had it very close. Then my timing light said "F*** YOU! I'm outta here!" Then I had a coworker (ASE certified) with his fancy timing light help out, and it was running quite well after that. MPG went down to 24. [edit: It's hard to see the timing as the cruise control line, and the power steering line cross right over the timing mark on the inside of the pulley. I don't know which timing mark my coworker used.]

The economy had been slowly creeping up, so I decided to do an end run around the ECU and just reset it and then do an idle relearn. I hoped that by going to the default values, it would go back to getting ~32. The ECU had a different plan in mind, and the MPG has been floating around ~27 since then.

I have a scan of the factory manual. It's not as nice as the Subaru factory PDFs, but it's useable.

Last edited by Smithcraft; 05-24-2018 at 01:24 PM..