Thread: Prius MPG
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #39 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
Redpoint5

I looked at the Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator...

My Civic VX seems to destroy the Electric Vehicle comparison. Yes my VX costs more to fuel up, but the extremely low cost of ownership trumps the electric car so badly that I'd have to own the electric for over 30-40 years years to break even... and that's assuming no battery replacement, which isn't reality.
In a ten year period, my cost of ownership in total is $11,250.00 using all points you have in these calculations. Note: I do all of my own maintenance, but to be honest, there's been very little. I probably saved a few grand doing the work myself.
That's why I created the spreadsheet, so that people could get a reasonable estimation of cost of ownership rather than go on their hunch, which usually is just something a person says to feel justified in purchasing the thing they had wanted all along.

Depreciation is by far the #1 cost for most people. You fight depreciation by owning a low cost car in the first place. The tradeoff is missing out on some of the improvements in technology and infotainment.

Generally though, when comparing an EV to the same year equivalent ICE, the EV will cost less over the course of a rather lengthy period of ownership. If someone commutes long distances regularly, the EV more quickly pays back the premium paid to purchase it.

I do all my own maintenance too, and don't own an EV. My vehicle cost of ownership is a fraction of what most people pay since I never buy new, do my own maintenance, carry liability only insurance, and buy reliable vehicles.

Heck, I've got my bike hanging from the rafters of the garage right now in preparation to check valve clearances. Something a bike shop charges $700 to do (on a $2,000 bike).

Here's the link to my thread on the subject so we don't derail yours:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/vehicle-total-cost-ownership-calculator-36087.html

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-27-2018 at 03:38 PM..