View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
jmilk
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I am glad BMW is at least thinking about MPG as a feature people might care about. Some folks on the net view that as evidence that hell actually froze over, but the TV isn't a surgical implement that only affects it's target audience, it shotguns the message to everyone watching.

So it's just the hiway mileage figure too, really it is more like 21mpg that they are telling the world is "fuel efficient". I like BMWs as a car historically, but they cannot divorce themselves from their advertising. If they want to say the mileage has dramatically improved over the previous versions then fine, but that wouldn't be terribly accurate either AFAICT. MPG Lip service.
Ah, now here is something I can agree with, especially the last sentiment. Fact is, BMW's fuel economy has hardly changed over the last 20 years when you could buy (in Germany) a 318i that got 8l/100km, or 28ish mpg. Granted, you went from a 1.8l four-banger to a smooth 3l straight-six and have added hundreds of pounds of convenience and safety features... but really, there's nothing new. They tuned the ECU and tranny to score high on the EPA highway cycle knowing full-well that the target audience will never cruise 65mph when everyone else is passing.

Mind you, 20 years ago, I drove a Golf II (in Germany) which was rated 6.5l/100km or 36mpg -- and it wasn't a Diesel. It had only 45hp and a manual tranny, but I could afford to put gas in it. And I seem to remember that both BMW and VW had ECUs in place that would could gas *completely* when coasting, at least on the manual trannies. Years later I made a sport out of beating EPA's 33mpg on my bone-stock '96 Civic EX (manual), averaging 38mpg in hwy and suburban driving.

I'm with you dcb. I still think 28mpg for a very large luxury sedan is comparatively good, it's nowhere what it could be. And considering the history of BMW (and other German and Japanese car makers) who gave us the same mileage 20 years ago that we get now... we should be much further along.

I'm wondering if the car-makers are simply scrambling to save face right now. I imagine that some of the experienced folks on this board could take a stock 328 and make a few small mods to exceed the 35mpg requirement that's coming down the line. If the manufacturers made those small changes now, they'd sell a few more cars this year or next. But maybe they'd also draw the attention of law makers and instead of reaching the 35mpg goal, they'd then be required to meet a 40mpg goal? And maybe the jump from 25 to 35 mpg isn't nearly as expensive (or research-intensive) as the jump from 35-40.... just thinking out loud.

As far as this thread goes -- 28mpg is nothing to be proud of, unless you're marketing to people who are used to getting mid-teens on their "luxury" SUVs or boy-racer sedans.