View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #1955 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
Roadmap to Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
In what way do you find it to be untrue? The totals were taken from the SolutionsProject.org which all renewable advocates constantly quote as the go to guide to replacing all energy in the USA with wind, water, and solar. The Roadmap To Nowhere simply added up the hardware that is required in order to generate the required energy, and gave every benefit of the doubt every where they could regarding optimistic efficiency gains of electric vs ICE, capacity factor, land use, and price.
1.5TeraWatts of continuous average power must be replaced just for the USA which already inludes the efficiency advantages of electric over ICE. With capacity factors as stated (25% for solar and 33% for wind?) The hardware requirements are as previously stated.
And this doesn't even get into the hardware that needs to be built on the consume end of the transition, which is likewise impossible to build that many batteries. Just for the USA. Now envision the whole world making the same transition. Along with underdeveloped countries raising their standard of living so that they no longer have to cook using sticks or poop outside in the yard.
It doesn't add up.
The future will be much smaller and simpler.
The sooner we accept this and quit relying on a false hope of rebuildables replacing 17 TW, the sooner we can make plans on how to get there as humanely as possible.
Could you please transcribe specific data from this work so we can skip reading the whole thing.I've just spent the last 3-weeks on Lomberg's book.
Without my own computer,I'm looking at having to print the whole thing,which I'd rather not venture if I can't get a taste of it beforehand.
Impossible is not a word that translates to historical precedent in the United States.
Ph.D. in Economics, Bjorn Lomberg doesn't have a problem with 100% renewables.He expects it to happen! He uses all the real statistics.
I'm a renewable advocate and I've never heard of SolutionsProject.org,nor Roadmap to Nowhere.Perhaps the media hasn't stumbled onto them so far.