View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Luno
EcoModding Lurker

I think because people drive in different environments experiences are different. Typical city driving in Copenhagen it is very sedate except for the 4 lane city rings, usually only one lane with double lines, so nobody are pulling stunts. When I drive in Berlin or Hamburg, it is a constant show of horsepower going from stop light to stop light, or so it seems to me, though this might be considered by Germans to be light driving? Likewise driving in rush hour congestion mostly my milage would be in the low 20's mpg or worse, so when I manage 47mpg in the city, it is when traffic is spaced out enough for me to accelerate slowly and coasting from around 30 mph, with engine off when possible, timing the lights perfectly every second or third time. And you are backing me up on this; weight is extremely important when accelerating. Driving alone compared to with wife and 3 children, two of them adult requires an acceleration 3 times as slow to have the same numbers on the display and likewise I would need to coast sooner, from a lower speed to counteract the larger mass Luckily I lose coasting speed slower with a heavier car, so I will still make it to the next light, by I'll be 10 times as annoying to other drivers, so getting rid of 50 kg, is measurable at the pump. As said, I'll get back with exact numbers on the solar panel contribution and exact measurements of my cars amp draw in different conditions. Before,when I still had my failing lead acid battery I drove 706km on 28L gas with gets me 3.94L/100km highway, Which is quite good but not extraordinary for a car this size, just to point out that there is no magic here beside low rolling resistance, few parasitic loads and hard core hyper milling to get these numbers I in city driving where alternator load is a main fuel cost.