View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
moorecomp
Master EcoModder

All,

I did some Google searches and the tire companies do recommend the installation of two new tires on the rear of all cars FWD or RWD. Here is a link to a video of Michelins reasoning.

Michelin | New Rear Tires

The only problem I have with this is they want me to do this for the once in a blue moon situation where the combination of hydroplaning and speed and turning all mesh into an end for end swap. In my 30+ years of driving, I have had 1 time when my vehicle swapped ends on me without warning. Winter, black ice, straight road, 40 mph, slight dip in the road, wider than stock tires on a 1974 Mercury Bobcat (Pinto clone). When the weather gets bad, I slow down and drive like I have less traction. The people who drive in bad weather without slowing down are the ones who might benefit from putting the new tires on the rear. For me, I would rather have the benefit of the new tires increased steering and braking for the unexpected times that happen more often (deer, stupid drivers) and the winter when I have to climb the winding, 1/4 mile dirt road hill to my home every day.

Also, having my tires hyperinflated to 42psi helps prevent hydroplaning.

My 2 new tires that I usually end up with every 3 years, go on the front and the old fronts go on the rear.

Works for me. YRMV.