View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
They to do quite well with double the CO2 we have now.
More plant food, better growth right?
You can express atmospheric CO2 as percent, it would just be 0.04%. 400ppm sounds scarier.
Doesn't it sound more convincing that we are all going to die if plant food hits 400ppm instead of 0.04%?
I imagine that people do not pay attention to PPM. They might not even understand what it means unless you explain it (slowly). They just freak out about [seemingly] large numbers.

I read a comment that 6% CO2 is lethal. Since that would be 60,000 PPM, 133 times current atmospheric levels, hopefully people do not experience that naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I haven't studied the subject, but there are universities that experiment with indoor farming, especially in Japan, and they often supplement their crops with additional CO2.

I wonder if merely increasing the air pressure (pressure chamber) would have the effect of promoting growth due to greater concentration of CO2?
Quote:
The results clearly showed that the rate of respiration decreased linearly with increasing total pressure at a high humidity.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23994480

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafer65 View Post
There is supposed to be a cherrie tomato plant in a mall in Japan that is as big as a tree from pressurized co2 to the roots
When I copied and pasted this line into Google it did not show anything about a mall, but the rest seems relevant:

Quote:
Dr. Kei Mori, a physicist from Keio University in Japan, worked with a Cherry Tomato plant that started in his basement. He gave light to the plant with a fiber optic cable which filtered out UV light, a process called ‘Himawari Sunlighting’. He also added pressurized CO2 in a gasket around the stem and root system. At some point, this plant was moved to a greenhouse which also simulated these conditions. Within 2 years, the tomato plant had reached 16 feet tall with 800 tomatoes. In 16 years, it was reported at 45 feet tall with 15,000 tomatoes. It was further reported that, under these conditions, the tomatoes would stay green until they were picked.
https://www.baraminology.net/preflood/tomato-mori/

There was a similar link to a document hosted by the University of Washington, but it only talked about filtered light, not increased CO2 levels.