View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
woodsrat
Beginner Ecomodder

Would a lesser equipped Cub without all the bells and whistles appealed to folks? Nowadays it's exactly that kind of stuff that sells vehicles especially among the youth.

The SYM Symba was an excellent updated version of the original with twice the displacement, an extra cog in the gearbox and a hydraulic front fork. It sat in the showrooms unsold, part of the reason being an importer that didn't have money to or want to spend it on advertising. Lots of folks didn't even know they existed. It wasn't a Honda, too despite SYM having lots of manufacturing history with them.

Myself and several friends have a fleet of old Honda step throughs repowered with Lifan 125 engines. They're light (around 175-180 lbs. with our battery-less AC lighting system), simple and run up around sixty for a top end. Would/could Honda have built one without F. I., ABS, and all the electronic do-dads and been able to sell it for closer to $2500?

I also own a KYMCO K-Pipe and it's proven to be a simple, reliable bike with an asking price of two grand. If the Super Cub strikes you as too much money negotiate a deal on one of these.