View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #77 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I'm looking for very small electronic enclosure air conditioners that are small enough to go on the battery, that would cool it down. Having trouble finding one small enough that isn't $1,500+.
If small / light is the target.

One option is to modify the powered food coolers .. most are peltier based , but some of the more expensive ones are more efficient tiny compressor heat pumps.

The smallest of those compressor heat pump based food coolers I've seen is the Dometic CDF-11 .. about ~$450 .. well under that $1500.
The testing I did on one showed its output varied with dT and such.

12VDC based HeatPump Peak (less than 50F dT from ambient)
~267BTU/HR .. ~48W of electrical power .. ~5.6SEER.

By ~70F dT from ambient it was down to about a ~2SEER.

The compressor and such is all in the front portion .. about ~ 8" x 8" x 9" .. the cold heat absorbing refrigerant path is the metal walls around the food storage space which can carefully be reshaped/straightened.

Or one could do ice (water bottles) in the food storage space as thermal storage .. the effective cooling ability of ice is about ~130wh/kg.

-----
Eventually a heat pump and a li battery actually allow for more wh/joules of cooling per pound/kg than ice can do .. at about a SEER9 and ~120wh/kg battery the ice is heavier above about a total of ~23 lbs .. ice losses at even lower weight with either higher SEER or higher wh/kg battery.

-----

Another option is Zero Breeze .. at ~$419 also well under that $1500 .. which is a ~1,100 BTU/HR camping 12VDC ~14Lb air conditioner about 8" x 11" x 19" .. ambient in right/left sides .. cold out front .. hot out back .. their claims put the peak up around 9.1EER .. just got mine and still testing it .. but so far so good.