View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Bror Jace -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bror Jace View Post
"As to the skirt issue, I bet it's down to cost vs gains. Is it worth the money and time to design and create a removable panel for the minute gains that could be made up with smarter driving?"

Smarter driving? Oh, azraelswrd, you crack me up!

I still think skirts are a factory accessory that would sell if they can show real MPG gains ... look at all the pour-in nonsense that is sold for engine sumps and gas tanks? How about doo-dads like the Tornado valve? Most of this doesn't work ... but it sells.

Show a gizmo people can purchase and stick on their cars (in this instance, a set of skirts) and people will buy it.

The downside is that a different set of skirts has to be designed for each vehicle ... pour in goo is a one-size-fits all product.
Egg-zactly. I also don't think wheel skirts are in fashion. You can stick in a Tornado Valve and who's gonna know? Wheel skirts are a statement. Even if you design them to be aesthetically pleasing like the Honda Insight, people still won't like them with excuses like "they're old-fashioned". That won't stop most people here, but it will stop others.

Belly pans, however, are totally doable because there is no aesthetic cost.

Idea: How about this? Metal belly pans for 4x4/SUVs that are designed to protect the catalytic converter from theft. Two for one!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society