View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
mannydantyla
EcoModding Apprentice

Aerokee - '97 Jeep Cherokee XJ sport
90 day: 18.22 mpg (US)

Scrambler - '74 Honda CL200 Motorcycle
90 day: 55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
Anyone tried this yet?
This stuff caught my eye on Amazon, came here to see if anyone had anything to say about it. Was not terribly disappointing but was hoping someone actually tested it and gave a review. My engine is pretty old and I know there's a concerning amount of copper, lead and iron in the used oil. So my need is probably greater than most.

I recently sent an oil sample to Blackstone Lab and they said my iron, copper and lead numbers (parts per million) where high and cause for concern. If I used this stuff, and sent another oil sample in and the numbers went back down, would that prove that this stuff works? Of course there's more changing in my engine than whats in the oil pan. I have the head off right now because a little coolant was getting the oil and its getting machined and rebuilt.

I like the idea of measuring the max torque needed to turn the crankshaft pulley, before and after adding this stuff. Seams very easy and simple.

Of course the ultimate test is to put the engine on the dyno.

I'm not inherently skeptical of oil additives, not as much as some folks on this forum by the looks of it. Engine Restore helped my chevy 350 burn less oil, and Lucas stops leak keeps my floor jack from leaking. However, I once had an old Buick that lost 4th gear shortly after putting in Lucas Transmission Fix.

And it might be risky putting something so new into your vehicle's engine. I mean even if its tested to be effective, what are the long term effects? I'm reminded of a motorcycle gas tank I bought, it was coated on the inside with a product called "kreem" which was supposed to keep the inside of the tank from rusting. After 20 years or so it had all flaked off and was clogging the carburetors. Worse though, it's virtually impossible to remove it. If you google it, you'll find hundreds of stories just like mine.

I use Shell Rotela T-6 5w-40 and it already has a good amount of zinc and phosphorous (ZDDP) and a little boron and moly too. I wonder if this TriboTEX stuff could improve on an already well performing oil with high levels of lubricity, protection, and film strength. Of course not all cars can use an oil with so much phosphorous - its bad on the catalytic converters - nor do they need to, what with modern cam rollers and all.