View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
westb87
No idea what I'm doing

Sleek - '04 Honda Civic Coupe LX
90 day: 36.38 mpg (US)

Broomstick - '18 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Tech & 4Motion
90 day: 21.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My top 3 WTH moments:

1. Similar to you... Was traveling 85 MPH in a 70 on cruise control on an empty stretch of I-5 in the right lane. A guy comes behind, tailgates for a while, then does a full throttle pass, pulls right in front of me while slamming on his brakes and taking an exit.

2. Guy does 35 MPH in a 55 for half an hour along a twisty road. The moment I get a chance to pass I go full throttle and signal my pass. The guy matches my speed up to 90 MPH and denies the pass; my Prius unable to overtake. Then the guy slows back down to his snails pace again with me stuck behind and the passing opportunity gone.

3. The highway was closed down due to an accident and nobody was moving. I turned the car off and waited, but the guy ahead pulled forward a couple car lengths. The guy behind got mad that I didn't pull forward and peeled out on the shoulder, kicking rocks everywhere, and pulled in front of me. We didn't move for the next hour; not an inch.

I don't understand why it drives people mad to have a gap in a line. I'll even leave space in a grocery store line just because I don't need to be so close to the people ahead. The line doesn't move faster just because you've consumed the entire safety/comfort cushion.
1. That happens way more often than it should. "I'm going to pass this guy so I can make that turn up there in 1/2 mile!" I don't understand why folks just can't "hang out" until their turn arrives. Maybe we could market an "efficient driving" school similar to a defensive driving one? lol

2. When I was in the Navy and driving to and from my duty station in Norfolk, VA to my mom's house in Fort Walton Beach, FL, this happened VERY often. You'd get two jack-wagons riding next to one another on the interstate (with me only mad at whomever rode in the left lane) and as soon as there is a gap to pass around, the left lane car would either slow down, or the right lane car would speed up. Completely frustrating! Technically, the guy that did that to you can be charged with attempted vehicular manslaughter if he was to have been witnessed committing that CRIME in front of a police officer.

3. I've never understood the frustration of folks thinking "MOVE UP NOW!" in bumper to bumper traffic. I'm of the mind of "kiss my butt....I'll move when the situation warrants it". My brake foot gets tired of hanging there holding the pedal down. So much easier to throw it in neutral, cutoff the engine, and listen to some tunes.

Broomstick (2018 Volkswagen Atlas SE w/ Technology & 4Motion All-Wheel Drive), Auto 8-speed with "Tip-tronic". The Family 'Wagen...also the weapon of choice of the "Wicked Witch of the Wests" a.k.a The Wife.