View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #2127 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
Quote:
I would go crap in the yard like my dog before I own a composting toilet.
Even the people who are into off grid living, self sufficiency and such say they are gross and are or can be necessary evil.
Yikes!

A pit latrine at least. Think about you family and neighbors.

"Even the people .... say" — That doesn't make them right, and I feel sorry for their miserable lifestyle. I've seen and used composting toilets that work and an almost identical one (a cedar shack in the woods) that failed. The only difference was a piece of fly-screen on the top of the vent.

They were 55-gallon drum cartridges. Remove one and cap it with a vented lid, lay it on it's side on roller-skate wheels and spin it once a week for six months. It's basically a clean-hands operation. An airtight plug in the seat and a ready supply of dry organic material (sawdust, pine needles, etc.) are also critical.

edit:
If you know these people, share this with them. They're giving hippys a bad name.

http://tclocal.org/2010/02/visioning...od_prod_3.html
Quote:
Figure 4. A functioning home-built composting toilet based on a 55 gallon drum that has been in operation in Cortland County since 1983. The drum is periodically rotated out through a composting cycle

Last edited by freebeard; 06-22-2018 at 02:28 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-22-2018)