View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crono
EcoModding Lurker

Pizza Geo - '92 Geo Metro
Last 3: 47.52 mpg (US)

Blazing Glory - '07 Yamaha C3
90 day: 108.96 mpg (US)

The Beast - '86 Pontiac Subird
90 day: 15.6 mpg (US)

Mom's Firefly - '92 Pontiac Firefly
90 day: 35.65 mpg (US)

Noris - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Mirage - '15 Mitsubishi Mirage
90 day: 48.11 mpg (US)

Japan - '08 Suzuki Alto
90 day: 45.88 mpg (US)
MetroMPG - I have not actually seen the Craig Vetter thread you're referring, at least I don't think I have. (I've seen a few things about him though, he managed to get a functional 400+mpg out of a motorcycle, or something like that, right?) If you have a link to that I'd be interested in reading up a bit. From the basic specs of my scooter I haven't seen anything about drag, though the point you make about initial resistance being greater makes sense, given that I learned in physics that friction against the ground is also greater from a dead stop. (It's sort of that "initial" friction you need to overcome in order to get something moving, so it makes sense that it works that way with the air as well)

Ryland/dann_04 - Part of what I'm wondering is whether aeromodding will be worth it, depending on the amount of weight gained from an aeromod, like, if I totally went hardcore and went straight for pure teardrop shape, would the weight gained in materials be justified in terms of the loss of drag? I realize there's probably no easy way to tell, but that's generally the line of thought I'm following.

Matt Herring - Especially around here, the posted maximum speed is more like a minimum, so I do tend to ride the thing close to its max. I'll consider that windshield idea, though I'm wondering how much various places would like to gouge me for one. (Being in Canada I'm a little more restricted on what's practical to order online as well, due to duty and shipping stuff.)