Thread: Non-oring chain
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 11:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
woodsrat
Beginner Ecomodder

I read an article about chain lubrication that had a Japanese chain engineer say that the ONLY way to lubricate a chain was to remove it, put it in a pan of hot gear oil, let it penetrate and then hang it up to let it drain. The various sprays and such on the market? "A waste of your time."

Hey, I didn't say it, he did. I've done non-O-ring chains this way on small dirt bikes and it does work, troublesome as it is. Not many people are willing to do this.

I think an enclosed chain slathered in oil is the way to go but these have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur save for small bores such as the new Super Cub.

I saw a nylon chain enclosure for the old SOHC Honda 750's at a swap meet. The fellow who had it for sale said an old duck came in on his 750 selling them and had a gazillion miles on his chain using this setup. It wasn't much to look at but the old man swore by it. Nowadays something like that wouldn't be very fashionable regardless of how well it worked.

Has anyone seen any studies comparing the friction of a properly lubricated chain vs. a belt drive?