Thread: Non-oring chain
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
jkv357
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrat View Post
I read an article about chain lubrication that had a Japanese chain engineer say that the ONLY way to lubricate a chain was to remove it, put it in a pan of hot gear oil, let it penetrate and then hang it up to let it drain. The various sprays and such on the market? "A waste of your time."

Hey, I didn't say it, he did. I've done non-O-ring chains this way on small dirt bikes and it does work, troublesome as it is. Not many people are willing to do this.
I have removed chains, cleaned and soaked them before as well. Best to leave them hang a long time before using...

One thing I have found with removing chains - make a mark (or use something like a zip tie through one link to mark it) on the chain so it goes back on exactly how it came off. If it's flipped or rotates the opposite direction it will not mesh correctly with the sprockets due to the wear patterns.

It's also handy to attach a wire to the chain as you pull it off of the countershaft sprocket. As you pull the chain over the front sprocket the wire (12" or more) stays under the countershaft cover when you disconnect the chain. That way when you go to reattach the chain you can reconnect the wire to the proper end of the chain and pull it over the sprocket without removing the cover. Sometimes the cover are easy to remove, sometimes not.