View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 02:59 AM   #32 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I think that I spent longer than three days removing a nut connecting exhaust pipes on my Civic four years ago. The exhaust shield prevented me from accessing it with locking pliers and other tools that should have made short work of it, but that was before I learned of bolt extractors.

I saw one whole client today, picked up the seal, which looked just like the one that I ruined pulling off my engine and the one that I ruined attempting to install on my engine. The packaging says Mahle, but the seal itself says NOK, just like the other two.

I installed the seal and the timing belt. I want to count how many times it says to temporarily install the crankshaft as well as loosening the adjusting bolt 2/3 - 1 turn, do some thing, then retighten it. The YouTube mechanics say to remove the 10mm bolt from the adjuster arm to the timing belt tension arm. The FSM says to use a bolt from the timing belt cover. I do not know why I removed the 14mm nut from the tensioner, except that I replaced the tensioner.

Somehow I thought it meant the 10mm bolt I put on the tension arm, not the nut on the tensioner. I wish that I had realized that since I needed the camshaft removal tool to remove the camshaft, I also needed it to replace it (multiple times).

It was hours before I was able to rent one from AutoZone.

I did things wrong, then needed to do them right, but the timing belt is on, lined up properly, and as tense as it seems it is going to get. Crank it counter-clockwise 5 - 6 times to make sure the belt is seated, remove the crankshaft pulley, adjust the adjusting bolt, reinstall the crankshaft pulley, move it three teeth counterclockwise to tension it, remove the pulley, and adjust the bolt.

Fun.

The tensioner belt is on.

Remaining steps:

1. Replace the seal on the lower timing belt cover.
2. Replace the lower timing belt cover.
3. Replace the crankshaft.
4. Replace the dipstick and gasket.
5. Replace the alternator bracket, alternator, and belt.
6. Replace the power steering pump and belt.
7. Replace the battery.

I am also replacing the spark plugs and wires, changing the oil, and rotating the tires.

I should probably replace the coolant before I start the engine. Why isn't that in the instructions?!