View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #2173 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
powerful winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
If GW is causing more powerful winds, perhaps that's where we should be extracting the energy. The side effect of installing a lot of wind power would be reduced wind speeds. Seems like a problem that has its own solution.
Tonight,here,on PBS' NOVA is doing a new program on last year's 3-in-a-row major hurricanes.
No guarantee that I'll get to see it.
It might have a take on what the meteorologists are talking about these days.
All I've heard so far,is that with the very warm surface water temperatures,for instance in the Gulf of Mexico, (they're referring to it as the 'hot tub'),that it's a perfect setup for more evaporation,atmospheric rivers,more intense rain events,and energy for storms.
The frequency of storms isn't predicted to be any different,but their magnitudes may be more extreme.
With perhaps more instrumentation today,recording more real time wind velocities ,forecasters may be able to tease out any differences in average observed wind spectra,compared to their database and see if there's a trend or not for ambient winds.
It's way too complicated for my time-riddled brain.I'll have to defer to those who teach it and make a living off it.