View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 07:25 PM   #2175 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
*The thing about sun-spots though,is that though we can see them,they may not effect us magnetically at all unless they occur along the sun's ecliptic and radiate radially,directly at us.
*If earth does not lay within the footprint of the spherical expansion from the photosphere,it will just blow by Earth.
*It doesn't matter what the lines of flux are around the sun if we're not in their path.
*There are complete holes in the corona at the sun's polar regions which don't do diddly-squat to Earth.
*There can be killer coronal mass ejections that just blow by us at a safe distance
I don't know how many times S0 has used the term 'earth-facing quiet', or if the statistics support it. He has called out potentially crippling CMEs that blow through where the Earth would be a few month before or after.

Here's one for sendler:

www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Fuel-cell-ferry-coming-to-San-Francisco-Bay-13020867.php

Quote:
Pratt studied fuel cells for years as an engineer at Sandia National Laboratories and, in 2017, co-authored a study looking at how well the technology might work in a range of vessels, from giant container ships to fishing trawlers and passenger boats. As far as he could tell, fuel cells could power them all.

“I did this study in part to see what was the limit to using hydrogen fuel cells, and the most surprising thing to me was I didn’t find one,” he said.
That's a very sophisticated hull hydrodynamically.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-30-2018)