View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #47 (permalink)
Effic1ent1
Ecomodder

MZ3 - '13 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 49.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
To be honest here you are chasing something that will never pay off. Then you have to worry about messinng up your nice new wheels whereas you really dont have to worry about it stock. A lot of people dont realize that weight and inertia play a huge role in acceleration, but not much in FE or maintaining speed. I mean I would 100% agree if we were talking about performance, but if we are talking about spend 1200$ on wheeels and tires to save almost nothing I'd have to say spend it somewhere else.
I agree completely. I paid $250 for 4 Advanti B1 Lupo wheels (16x7) with 4 Goodyear Winter ultra grip tires 12/32" out of 13/32" tread. The rims were purchased new with the tires and came off a wrecked Mazda 3. I needed a set of winter tires to go on my steel wheels. The tire value was $320 new before tax or shipping, so the wheels were as close to free as it gets. I saved 8lbs per wheel with the alloys. I would never advocate spending any kind of serious coin for wheels in search of mpg's, but if you can get a used set for dirt cheap then I say go for it. If the article in my previous post has any truth to it, you should be able to save approx. 1+mpg with 10lbs shaved off each corner of rotational mass. Does that mean it will happen..no.. but in the article they saved 2.2mpg with 14lbs shaved off each corner.

The real question is should I cover the nice new wheels with coroplast?