View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 12:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I didn't get that far. It appears to me a culture of people expecting thought to be packetized into 140-character blocks. I'm as big a fan of the TCP-IP stack as the next guy but those packets are a scaffolding for HTML which affords a richer communication medium. Then they chop it up again.

I think there is something strange about pink, too. Maybe I'll remember what.

livescience.com:Red-Green & Blue-Yellow: The Stunning Colors You Can't See

Quote:
Try to imagine reddish green — not the dull brown you get when you mix the two pigments together, but rather a color that is somewhat like red and somewhat like green. Or, instead, try to picture yellowish blue — not green, but a hue similar to both yellow and blue.

Is your mind drawing a blank? That's because, even though those colors exist, you've probably never seen them. Red-green and yellow-blue are the so-called "forbidden colors." Composed of pairs of hues whose light frequencies automatically cancel each other out in the human eye, they're supposed to be impossible to see simultaneously.
It turns out it's necessary to use 'image stabilization' which cancels out the saccades. Then an effect at the border between the two colors floods both of them. This reminds me of Geothe's Color Theory, were color comes from an interplay of black and white fringes. I think you can see these such colors in a sunset.

Quote:
Billock argues that Hsieh's study failed to generate the colors because it left out a key component of the setup: eye trackers. Hsieh merely had volunteers fix their gaze on striped images; he didn't use retinal stabilization.

"I don't think that Hsieh's colors are the same ones we saw. I've tried image fading under steady fixation … and I don't see the same colors that I saw using artificial retinal stabilization," Billock said. In general, he explained, steady eye fixation never gives as powerful an effect as retinal stabilization, failing to generate other visual effects that have been observed when images are stabilized. "Hseih et al.'s experiment is valid for their stimuli, but says nothing about colors achieved via more powerful methods."

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-08-2018)