View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 05:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tbird1983
EcoModding Lurker

Aveo - '12 Chev Aveo LS
Hello from South Africa

Hi guys,

Joined this site ages ago but never got around to posting anything as yet. So here is my introduction:

I have always been fascinated with fuel economy and data analysis, tracked fuel consumption for years. Still have many spreadsheets from previous vehicles ive owned.

My current (not so fuel economic) vehicle is a 1998 Nissan 1400 ute, half ton pickup truck. Basically a newer version of the Datsun sunny 1200 ute. Currently battling with ignition timing issues, had it converted to an electronic distributor but the mechanic who did it clearly didn't install it correctly so the most I can advance the timing to is 2.5-3 degrees btdc where factory is 7 degrees btdc so this is causing havoc on performance and fuel economy. But im getting that sorted out this afternoon hopefully if I get time to go around to my dad who is a mechanic for the past 45-50 years and I trust more than the person who did the conversion. Currently sitting on 7-10km per litre on mainly freeway driving whereas factory is 10km per litre average. The pickup currently has biggish 175/70/13 aftermarket wheels which stick out the fenders and rub a lot over bumps (was a hasty buy which I regret now) but im considering going back to the standard 155/80/12 wheels which I still have.

My wife drives a 2004 Fiat Palio 1.2 which is pretty economic but she couldn't care less about the economy side of things, she only knows out petrol in and drive it LOL, we maintain it pretty well, regular servicing and oil changes, we have owned this for about 8 years or so already and have mad minimal issues.

My main daily driver though is a Yamaha SR 250cc road bike which I use 75-80% of the time id estimate, it gets fantastic fuel economy. Haven't tracked fuel in a while but when I was tracking it was getting 34km per litre average. I have since done taller gearing so it should increase a bit.

Well that's my story, definitely keen to learn some tips and tricks to better my fuel economy on the pick up truck, its a carburetor fed vehicle so limited on tuning options unfortunately.