View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 11:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
S Keith
Master EcoModder

EDIT: I didn't read Cajun's post before I posted this. His is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Maybe that was a decent attempt for 2009, but it's still lousy. It uses NiMh batteries. "On its own, the V8 is rated at 332 horsepower and 367 pound-feet of torque. GM engineers say that combined output with the electric motors is 379 hp." That's just a 47 HP boost, or 14% of the rated engine power. They didn't decrease the engine size at all. It still has a V8 and a driveline.

When I mean hybrid, I mean something capable of a 100hp or more boost of EV power, ability to regen most of the energy rather than use brakes, and tool around at low speed on battery only. Perhaps something with a 20kWh battery.
IIRC GM 2-mode hybrid motors are capable of 160hp combined (think Prius MG1 and MG2) and are integrated into the transmission.

Combined hp ratings are given at the peak power output (typically near redline) and are slave to design limitations. At that rpm, you don't get the full oomph of the EV motors.

If looking at economy boost, they were very good implementations, NiMH or not. The big downside is relatively poor battery management. Even so, they frequently push 200K miles before their batteries crap out. Up until about a year ago, one could get the 40 module pack (big as a GS450h) for as little as 2800 installed. Unfortunately, that's up about 1K.

Using the Tahoe Hybrid as an example, it's 21 mpg rating improvement over the non-hybrid at 15mpg is massive and about as good as one could expect.

For the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade there were only 22,000 sold across all years. The Silverado/Sierra hybrid sold a total of 6,300 across all years.

The answer to your question is that there is no market for hybrid trucks/SUVs. That's why GM stopped making them, and everybody took a lesson from their experience and stayed out of the US market.