View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 12:01 AM   #89 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I still have 12 out 12 battery health bars and routinely think about battery replacement.
Do I want a new nissan battery and probably install it my self, try my luck with a junk yard batt, maybe buy an entire leaf that is an insurance write off, or some wild alternative like rebuild the battery my self.

I should probably get on mynissanleaf, there's not as much enthusiasm for electric cars on here as I thought there would be. It is kind of cheating when it comes to the fuel economy game.
I am still 'building' my 92 Mazda MX-6 conversion .. although I don't have much hope that I can get it certified for road use. But I need to see it in writing.

The Leaf is a bit low on the ground clearance for the roads I drive in winter. And it is marginal for range so I would need to mod it.

The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is a pretty good fit for my use case, can haul a small trailer once in a while, and appears to have good handling in winter and generally isn't hugely over-priced compared to the gas version.

But that's still $58,000 Canadian dollars. It's tough to justify a payment of $1000 per month plus $300 per month for insurance, maintenance, electricity and a bit of gas ... when my gas Hyundai Santa Fe is still running, and costs me $500 per month for insurance, gas and maintenance.

Now if I could get one a year or two old ...

Bottom line ... I think I have a mostly-EV solution, I'm just not ready to put my money where my mouth is.