View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
One thing on my other propane gas motor, a 1975 motorhome with a carbed 454, I always started and ran until warm on the gasoline and then switched to propane. The propane was heated with coolant and it seemed to run much better on the propane when warmed. The 1996 was better but still I had the habit of starting on gasoline, going to propane, then switching back to gas before shutting down. For awhile here an RV dealer advertised $1/gallon propane all summer, that was when gas was over $4. They said for house tanks only in the fine print but whoever was running the pump didn't care and as a cost per mile basis at the time that 454 only getting 10 mpg on propane was like a car getting 40 mpg. The motorhome got more like 5 mpg on the propane but still, like 20 gas or even 22 diesel. Only if you filled up at that one place.

I sold the motorhome and the guy that bought it burned it to the ground hooking up the engine tank to the house loads bypassing the regulator. He wasn't moving it, using it as a stationary ranch house out on a big spread, and wanted the extra 50 gallon tank for the heater and what not. I could see where that would be good but without a regulator the 18,000 btu furnace becomes much more powerful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
freebeard (07-15-2018)