View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 11:03 PM   #243 (permalink)
woodsrat
Beginner Ecomodder

I guess I'm spoiled. I gave .99 for my Passport (no kidding!!) on eBay around ten years ago and thought I spent a fortune in gas at $80 going to pick it up. (Gas was $4 a gallon at the time.)

Most of the step throughs I've built or helped my buddies build have been rolled together from junquers or even bare frames. Ain't much to the critters and with AC powered lighting and kick start no battery is required.

Fuel injection is indeed wonderful until it doesn't work anymore. Then you're at the mercy of a lab coated technician who doesn't know any more than you do but has the ability to install and remove parts from his parts department until it runs again. Sadly most repairs on these systems is guesswork or, as the shop manuals say, "install known good component and test." With the carbs on my Lifans if there's a problem I get my tool bag out and fix it.

I've really, really tried to get my head around F. I. I even bought a Grom with the idea that I'd use it as a learning tool and carried the shop manual around with me everywhere I went to study and try to understand how it worked. That failed miserably and it went on a truck to a little lady in Arizona. While it started and ran perfectly ultimately it performed no better than my wired together step throughs.

I'll stick to my "controlled leaks" and remain comfortably in the 20th century.